Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: Residence Hall Virus Solutions

From: "Bruhn, Mark S." <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:04:37 -0500

I hate it when I reread something a couple of times, and after I send it
I see a significant error.

In #1, the NAV client we put on the Security CD is set to automatically
get new patterns, I think every two days, from Norton.  As far as I
know, the net.cfg has nothing to do with it.

In #3, computers infected with Nachi/Welchia would NOT be seen as
vulnerable to RPC DCOM in our scan and so would NOT be sent to the fix
page.  The fix page, by the way, also patches for Webdav (that is, both
MS03-007 and MS03-026 are applied).

Let me also say, as our colleague Jeff Schiller said on CNN: this stuff
is getting old very quickly.

M.

--
Mark S. Bruhn, CISSP, CISM

Chief IT Security and Policy Officer
Associate Director, Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research
(http://cacr.iu.edu <http://cacr.iu.edu/> )

Office of the Vice President for Information Technology and CIO
Indiana University
812-855-0326

Incidents involving IU IT resources: it-incident () iu edu
Complaints/kudos about OVPIT/UITS services: itombuds () iu edu