Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: Residence Hall Virus Solutions

From: Tammy Clark <isttcx () LANGATE GSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:02:52 -0400

Hello,

At Georgia State University, we have a policy that each residential student's computer have antivirus software (we
provide Symantec antivirus software to all students, staff & faculty members) and a personal firewall.  Each student
authenticates through Cisco BBSM using their campusID and agrees to comply with our computer use agreement.

This year, due to the influx of students bringing infected systems to the campus, we are conducting security checks for
the Blaster and Welchia worms on students' systems.  We are also checking to see if they are patched against the latest
vulnerabilities (RPC, Direct X). We are then installing antivirus software and a personal firewall (free version of
ZoneAlarm) on their systems.  We also offer them an option to conduct a self-check with an accompanying validation
process.

To ensure that they don't attempt to connect to the housingnet with a system that has not been checked, we register the
MAC address of their system to their port.

We've generated a CD/step-by-step instruction with an executable scripting routine (rpccheck.exe) that automates the
process of checking for worms and patches, applies the fix programs and installs the patches if necessary. It applies
the patches appropriate for the Windows version on the student's pc. The CD also contains an unattended installation of
the antivirus software and the executable file to install the ZoneAlarm personal firewall.

Regards,
Tammy L. Clark, CISSP
Information Security Officer
Georgia State University
tlclark () gsu edu
404-463-9612
SANDY () BUMAIL BRADLEY EDU 08/27/03 19:13 PM >>>

Hi there -  I am interested in quick summaries of how people are handling students bringing computers back to school
with no virus protection.  We do not have a policy in place to require virus protection software.  Thank you very
much.

Sandra J. Helms
Director of Academic Computing
Bradley University