Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: Residence Hall Virus Solutions

From: Tammy Clark <isttcx () LANGATE GSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:04:40 -0400

Hello Joe,

The distinction is that these students are using their personal computers and we act as an ISP to them, so they don't
fall under the licensing requirements established.  If we were to provide ZA to our faculty and staff members for use
on university-owned pc's, we would then need to get a site license for this product.

Tammy L. Clark, CISSP
Information Security Officer
Georgia State University
tlclark () gsu edu
404-463-9612
JOE () OREGON UOREGON EDU 08/27/03 20:38 PM >>>
Hi,

#We are then installing antivirus software and a personal firewall (free
#version of ZoneAlarm) on their systems.

It was recently pointed out to me that the license for the free version
of ZoneAlarm (see
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/media/downloads/EULAZAStandard.txt )
specifically excludes governmental entities and educational institutions.

Did you work out special arrangements with ZoneLabs? If so, what did that
end up costing? (I'm a big fan of their products in general, but the
clause in the license agreement looks like a show stopper to me unless
they have some sort of educational site licensing option)

Thanks,

Joe St Sauver (joe () oregon uoregon edu)
University of Oregon Computing Center