Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Value of certifications

From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:41:48 +0200

James,
On the matter of Vendor certs I would definitely have to disagree.

I've met plenty of MCSE people that just happened to study hard for
the exam and passed it, but haven't the first clue about setting up an
enterprise Windows system.

For a previous consultancy that I worked at, I was forced to take the
Sun Java Certification (despite the fact that I already had 8years
Java/J2EE real world experience). It is the the most worthless
certification that I've ever come accross and it actually teaches you
things that you'll NEVER do in the real world! I'd gone so long in my
career without it, in-part, due to the fact that so many
"Java-Certified" types that I'd meet, were useless developers.

The vendors care just as little about the student's knowledge as
anyone else - they are also in it for the money. Anytime they change
the OS, you need a new Cert. Anytime a new version of Java comes out,
they want a new Cert... KER-CHING!

What I like about the CISSP is that you are expected to have atleast 4
years prior experience before you take the exam. It covers ten
different security domains. It isn't a technical paper where you
memories a bunch or procedures; rather, you really have to know what
you are security, why it needs security. It isn't at such a high-level
to make it irrelevant, and nor is it at such a low-level as to make it
too technically demanding for people that might never have used a
firewall before.

Are you going to get Fakers picking a CISSP; ofcourse you are (just as
is the case with any qualification); but such persons will be weeded
out swiftly once they are in the workforce and can't produce.

Is it a substitute for experience, no. But it does complement your
experience and if all your experience is only in one particular
security domain, it shows you that there are other security domains
and they all need to be considired together.

Yes, I would prefer to have externally audited orgs performing such
certifications that aren't profit driven; but outside of Universities,
they don't exist - and accademic knowledge and real world knowledge
are two very different things.

ys