Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Value of certifications

From: "Ackley, Alex" <aackley () epmgpc com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:50:20 -0400

Do some research before spouting more CISSP non-sense please.  Just
because you do not see people on their board does not mean they don't
have them.  The class I took recently was taught by a person who works
directly with ISC2 and told us that they have numerous people employed
whose only purpose is in designing the best test possible.  In the same
was that auto repair tests are designed.

Just because you don't think it's being done does not mean that it's
not.

I used to spout this same crap myself I've been reading from you for the
last few days, but then broke down and got my certs.  I've 20+ years of
experience in computer security and didn't need them.  But they give
employers that idea to hold onto that they like.  Just like a college
degree does much the same thing.  Are you going to argue next that
having a BS in Comp Sci is just as worthless as a Cert?  It does the
same thing for employers and proves just as much as to what the person
knows.

I've worked with just as many idiots who were college grads as cert
holders and just as many who had both.