Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Value of certifications

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 07:25:26 +1000

Hi,
I am a nerd and have never been out of university(1). I finish one course and than start another. Basically distance ed
and work at the same time. I am also on the Faculty Board of one Uni. So having 19 years in 5 uni's I have some
knowledge of them. So I have to ask where the idea that Universities are not economically driven came from? In my
experiance there is a lot of economic focus on underpreforming courses these days.

If you want to make certifications more cost effective, than you have to offer something that will add a greater
utility value than the existing offering. As they currently stand, people see value. The percieved va;ue is due to the
story/myth of the person who does a few courses and gets a 6 figure job. The reality is that this person would have
been in the industry a long time and also have other skills/training, but this is a perception issue.

Next, employers do not wish to discover everything to do with IT and security. This is likely why they are hiring. A
certification is something to match people. Most people going for a job who are currently employed do not use their
existing employer as a reference. Thus you have to base the decision on something.

James, there is as a result a simple answer to this issue. Start your own. Make it more effective and add more value. I
have stated this to be an economic issue in a prior post. The solution is an economic one. If you feel that there is a
solution to this that will offer more value - do it.

What I would suggest:
1. Setup a training and education program that could be tied to a professional association (eg as accountants,
engineers and lawyers have).
2. Make at least a national framework and add enough utility/value such that you have the majority or people in the
industry who have skills join.
3. Convince government of the value and have them implement a compulsary requirement to be a member (ei bar exams for
lawyers, CA/CPA exams etc). Draft legistlation. Add PI insurance etc.
4. Make this entire process economically cost effective.

Number 4 is maybe the most difficult. You feel that certifications are expensive, try looking at the real cost of a
CA/CPA exam or the costs in becoming a solicitor/bassing the bar. I would for a Chartered Accountancy and am finishing
my LLM this year. I can tell you that the CISSP and CISA and CISM ...and about who knows how many other certs I have
all together cost less than the law degree and they cost way less than a CA and I would assume less than a CPA.

Are you looking to make IT a profession like law or accountancy? Will the majority or people work for professional
services firms? I work with one now, but I do not believe that most IT people should be employed this way. Having
people with IT security skills in commercial firms is a good thing.

It is easy to focus on the negative, it is difficult to do something. CA's have been arround for several hundred years
(sorry I have no idea about CPA's). Laywers have been charters since the 11th C. So maybe the time means something, but
look at their mistakes and evolution and found an equivilant organisation for IT. Unfortunately this is not as easy as
it seems and I would also venture not what most IT people want.

Regards,
Craig
(1) Physically out yes, but enrolled. I am also not counting vacations.

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO Box 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.