Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Value of certifications

From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:06:33 +0200

On 27/04/07, Craig Wright <Craig.Wright () bdo com au> wrote:
Hi,
I am a nerd and have never been out of university(1). I finish one course and than start another. Basically distance ed and
work at the same time. I am also on the Faculty Board of one Uni. So having 19 years in 5 uni's I have some knowledge
of them. So I have to ask where the idea that Universities are not economically driven came from? In my experiance there is
a lot of economic focus on underpreforming courses these days.

I went to University in England, where studying to BSc level used to
be free (I even used to get a grant) - I understand that various
charges have ensued with the result that most students leave
University bankrupt.
I'm not going to get into a discussion regarding the the death of the
Welfare state... :)

My point was more to the idea that Universities are geared toward
learning, more than say various commercial organisations will be, and
thus (atleast one would hope) they would be less likely to become
money making resource. If the government got involved (especially our
current league-table obsessed bunch) then they'd probably do
everything in their power to keep pass rates high; thus devaluing any
cert...
I'm sure some economically viable equilibrium exists somewhere, but I
don't know what it is.

ys

--
Yousef Syed
"To ask a question is to show ignorance; not to ask a question, means