Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey - Does everyone do SOME form of "web filtering"??

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 17:55:28 -0500

At 02:43 PM 5/8/2010, Walter Petruska put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
For those of you who host minors (18 and under and/or non-secondary school graduates) on your campuses during the
summer for various programs- what do you put into place to protect them from inappropriate material for a minor while
they are staying in your residence halls?  Do you turn off network ports?  Or allow them to surf the web openly?

We don't do anything to the network during the summer.  We do
know that we do have under age students during that time.  (as
well as of age students)  We do notify the parents of the students
in these special programs.  So far we have no issues.  I do have
concerns about this, but not enough to pay for some solution
out of my own pocket.  ;-)

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.