Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey - Does everyone do SOME form of "web filtering"??

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 08:27:17 -0500

SCHALIP, MICHAEL wrote:

Hi Folks.....

Our Board decided about 3 years ago to require "web filtering" here.
The concern related to "academic freedom" are mitigated through a
simple request process.  If a faculty member or student finds that an
instructionally legitimate website is being blocked - all they have to
do is submit a request to have the website passed through the web
filter and they are in business.

*My question:  Does everyone do some sort of web filtering?  If you
*do* filter your web access - how long have you done so?  And do you
have a "bypass" process?*

No. And I don't keep track of what sites they may visit (a side effect
of your bypass process). Nor do I check what phone numbers are dialed,
or books checked out of the library, etc, etc.

We may temporarily block all access to a site serving malware or
involved in the current phishing scheme, but content filtering belongs
in K-12, not higher ed.

Cheers,
Willis Marti
Director & CISO