Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey - Does everyone do SOME form of "web filtering"??

From: Adam Nave <nave () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 11:36:44 -0500

Ditto for Macalester (no content filtering).

--Adam

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Willis Marti <wmarti () tamu edu> wrote:

SCHALIP, MICHAEL wrote:

Hi Folks.....

Our Board decided about 3 years ago to require "web filtering" here.  The
concern related to "academic freedom" are mitigated through a simple request
process.  If a faculty member or student finds that an instructionally
legitimate website is being blocked - all they have to do is submit a
request to have the website passed through the web filter and they are in
business.

*My question:  Does everyone do some sort of web filtering?  If you *do*
filter your web access - how long have you done so?  And do you have a
"bypass" process?*

No. And I don't keep track of what sites they may visit (a side effect of
your bypass process). Nor do I check what phone numbers are dialed, or books
checked out of the library, etc, etc.

We may temporarily block all access to a site serving malware or involved
in the current phishing scheme, but content filtering belongs in K-12, not
higher ed.

Cheers,
Willis Marti
Director & CISO