Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey - Does everyone do SOME form of "web filtering"??

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 15:06:54 -0400

On 5/7/2010 11:00 PM, SCHALIP, MICHAEL wrote:

*My question:  Does everyone do some sort of web filtering?  If you
*do* filter your web access - how long have you done so?  And do you
have a "bypass" process?***

Not in a sense of content filtering, no.

We block all access (null-route) certain areas of the net (e.g.,
Spamhaus DROP list) known to be of no purpose other than badness.

We block web access by IP and/or servername for a select list of malware
and phishing.

We recently added blocks to a handful of targets based on URI filename
content.

None of the above have generated any exceptions or complaints.  We
formerly had a wider-scale DNS blacklist in place, but did run into at
least one exception when a marketing class was studying some online
marketing sites/methods which were also rather blatant adware partners
and thus in the list.

But no, no "nanny filters".

Jeff
**