Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey - Does everyone do SOME form of "web filtering"??

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:53:20 -0400

--
Zach Jansen
Information Security Officer
Calvin College
Phone: 616.526.6776
Fax: 616.526.8550>>> On 5/7/2010 at 11:00 PM, in message
<988201AAB9319E4A9CD65754395FB6C7B232CD8B81 () EXMAIL admin ad cnm edu>, "SCHALIP,
MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU> wrote:

My question:  Does everyone do some sort of web filtering?  If you *do*
filter your web access - how long have you done so?  And do you have a
"bypass" process?

Yes, we filter the student resnet connection and public kiosk machines. We've been filtering for 10 years or so.
Requests for access to a site are handled in one of two ways. Students are welcome to visit any of our labs, which are
monitored but unfiltered, or they may request an exception.  Exception requests go to the Student Life office for
review.

I also have various malware blocks in place. DNS blocks are redirected to a web page explaining the reason for the
block and people are directed to the Helpdesk to request an exception. Those requests are sent to me for approval.

Zach Jansen