Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Login Banners

From: Richard Hopkins <Richard.Hopkins () BRISTOL AC UK>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:35:00 +0100

We're in the UK, but here's ours in case it's of any use...

Notice under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000

In order to protect the security and working of University network and
computer systems, it may be necessary to monitor or log the use of these
systems. If there are indications of abuse of systems or that individuals
may be using systems in excess of their authority, files, messages and any
or all uses of the systems may be intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied,
audited, inspected and disclosed to authorised University and law
enforcement personnel.

Please see the University's policy for the investigation of computers at:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/Depts/Secretary/polcomp.htm

---

For the curious, here's a pointer to the UK RIP Act:

<http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/20000023.htm>

and the associated Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000:

<http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002699.htm>

Regards,

Richard Hopkins,
Information Services,
Computer Centre,
University of Bristol

--On 27 March 2006 13:12 -0500 "Sadler, Connie" <Connie_Sadler () BROWN EDU>