Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Login Banners

From: Sherry Callahan <scallahan () KUMC EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:09:55 -0600

Here's the one that was ultimately approved for our use:

"WARNING!  Authorized Use Only
Access to the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC) network is
restricted to employees, students, or other individuals authorized by
KUMC or its affiliates.  Use of this system is subject to all policies
and procedures set forth by KUMC including the Information Security
policies located at http://www2.kumc.edu/security .   Unauthorized use
is prohibited and will result in administrative or legal action.

KUMC monitors the use of this system for purposes related to security
management, system maintenance, system troubleshooting, and license
compliance."

The original version also had this verbiage, which was ultimately
struck from the approved version:

"During monitoring, information may be examined, recorded, copied, and
used for authorized purposes.  There should be NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY
as all information, including personal information, placed or sent over
this system may be monitored.

Use of this KUMC computer system indicates that you understand and
consent to these terms and conditions of use.   LOG OFF IMMEDIATELY IF
YOU DO NOT CONSENT TO ABIDE BY ALL KUMC USAGE POLICIES."

Hope that helps,

Sherry Callahan
Director, Information Security
The University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Blvd, MS 3024
Kansas City,  Kansas 66160
913-588-0966

Connie_Sadler () BROWN EDU 3/27/2006 12:12:43 PM >>>

Does anyone have language for a standard login banner they would be
willing to share? I will have to vet a statement through our legal
folks, but would like to start with something that has already been
tried and tested!

Thanks...

Connie J. Sadler, CM, CISSP, CISM, GIAC GSLC
Director, IT Security, Brown University
Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
Connie_Sadler () Brown edu
Office: 401-863-7266
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x91E38EFB
PGP Fingerprint: DA5F ED84 06D7 1635 4BC7 560D 9A07 80BA 91E3 8EFB