Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: SDMI - The way I would make the water mark.

From: Steve Mosher <farq () KILN ISN NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:04:35 -0300

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Richard Rager wrote:

  Ok I have an idea how the SDMI lives thought the wav - mp3 - wav and DA
-> AD -> DA.

   Music is make up of notes.  If the note was moved 200MS either way with
a known pattern the the music can be water mark and be converted to MP3
back to WAV and still see it.  The human ear would not hear it.

        Given two copies of the same audio, but with different watermarks,
you can still (at least) corrupt the watermark by averaging or what have
you. I'm not as good with DSP as I'd like to be, but I'm sure you'd also
have to be wary of harmonics and other fun stuff this way. It might also
bugger up hi-fi sound, binaural sound and sound sourcing effect,
depending on exactly how it's implemented.