Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: Steve Mosher <farq () KILN ISN NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:59:57 -0300

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Daniel Petzen wrote:

weak/lame/clueless your protection is, you can always get back to good 'ol
lawyers to nail pirates that publicise de-watermarking software. Anyone

  Yes, the good old "I left the front door open, but it's illegal to walk in to
my home and steal everything so I'm safe". It's virtually impossible to get by
that one.

        You know, this might not be correct, (since I read it in a
highschool law book,) but from what I understand, (here) in Canada the car
owner is at fault for a joyrider if they leave their car unlocked with the
keys inside. Accept responsibility for the consequences of your in/actions
-- I like it, too bad the RIAA hasn't considered the notion, SDMI *can't*
succede with watermarks, I'm convinced of it.

        It's interesting to note that internet-related security _has_ to
take this stance, since the punishment of intruders generally doesn't
happen, and thus there's no deterrent. Security like this simply cannot
rely on deterrence.