Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: Masial <masial () SECURED ORG>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:12:28 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Moonen

 Yes, this is copy protection, and we know
that can't be made to work.

Well, all they really want to do is make it cumbersome, so as to
deter the script kiddies of piracy, so to say.

--Ralph

Well, correct me if im wrong but with the DMCA in place, wouldnt it be
illegal to even try to remove a watermark? That way, no matter how
weak/lame/clueless your protection is, you can always get back to good 'ol
lawyers to nail pirates that publicise de-watermarking software. Anyone
knows of something strangely similar called DeCSS ? :)

Maybe the whole point is not to be secure but make people suable.

M.