Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: David Knaack <dknaack () RDTECH COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:26:11 -0500

From: "Steve Mosher" <farq () KILN ISN NET>
The only way to really make it work (as I see it) is to make the
watermark a *fundamental* portion of the sound, but that would be entirely
moot since there's no way to apply the watermark to existing sound, thus
it's useless.

I'm very curious what use the watermark has.  It seems that
image recognition techniques could be applied to music such
that a particular performance could be reliably identifed
without adding anything to the format.

Of course destroying the recognizable patterns bypasses
this; then you have what I would consider a different
(possably derivate) work.

The only other use I can think of for a watermarke is to
'personalize' a recording with a digital ID of the person
that has aquired the right to play it.  But, I think that
is a silly thing to do.

Ps. Thanks to everyone who hasn't participated in the hacksdmi contest.
Your efforts to defend civil rights & fair use all over the earth is
much
appriciated :)

I'm guessing that its already been hacked and the code to
write and remove the watermark will be released shortly
after technology using it is released.

DK