Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: Daniel Petzen <Daniel.Petzen () EMW ERICSSON SE>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:28:46 +0200

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Masial wrote:

[SNIP]
Well, correct me if im wrong but with the DMCA in place, wouldnt it be
illegal to even try to remove a watermark? That way, no matter how

  This is probably exactly what they want; a well defined illegal action that
can be pointed out in court. There is however a few flaws with it. If the
watermark is removed, then the identity stamped to the file is gone, thus
identification is impossible. They then have to claim that it's impossible to
retreive the file from any other source than the watermarked ones and in that
fashion prove that you have removed the watermark.

weak/lame/clueless your protection is, you can always get back to good 'ol
lawyers to nail pirates that publicise de-watermarking software. Anyone

  Yes, the good old "I left the front door open, but it's illegal to walk in to
my home and steal everything so I'm safe". It's virtually impossible to get by
that one.

knows of something strangely similar called DeCSS ? :)

Maybe the whole point is not to be secure but make people suable.

  Yes, one could expect that the US was involved somehow... ;-)

  /// Daniel Petzén

M.

--
   ___ Petzén     _     __ Mail : daniel.petzen () emw ericsson se
  / _ \___ ____  (_)__ / / Memo : EMW.EMWDPZ