Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: Masial <masial () SECURED ORG>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:53:25 -0400

Well, correct me if im wrong but with the DMCA in place, wouldnt it be
illegal to even try to remove a watermark?

The DMCA is irrelevant in 90% of the world. DMCA is 100%
american, and while
a lot of music is produced in the USA, it only houses a small part of the
world
population. I won;t start on a rant about americocentrism here, but the
point is
clear I hope

I couldnt agree more, being outside USA myself. However, my point was about
SDMI. As you know, they are american and my point is, maybe they are not at
all trying to make the watermarkings secure or good, maybe their whole point
is about making the watermark process DMCA'able. You are 100% right in
saying that we basicly dont care about that because we are not in the US,
but the SDMI is and they might not realise that world != usa... thats why i
belive their efforts might not be oriented towards good watermarking.