Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: news story and router passwords

From: none none <tricomsecurity () HOTMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:34:04 GMT

Yeah, you can recovery password on Cisco, but you need to have fisical
access to the router on cisco website they explain how to do it.
sorry for my english.

From: Vitaly Osipov <vos () TELENOR CZ>
To: VULN-DEV () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: news story and router passwords
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:35:43 +0200

Hello all,

I think everybody knows that media reporting on hackers and their tools is,
ehm, very improper :)
I've read one article recently
 http://www.denverpost.com/business/biz1012d.htm  ) in which it is clamed
that some hacker after sniffing router password changed it and made
*something* after that they were not able to recover that password. Have
somebody heard of such problems (it looks like they were using cisco,
because they say  - "If this guy posts how he actually did this, the whole
Internet's wide open." )? AFAIK ciscos have password recovery procedures,
at
least those which are not low-end.

Frankly speaking I'd suppose that they just did not back up their config :)
(because it looks like they even did not use access-lists etc.)

regards,
Vitaly.