Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Another new worm???

From: aleph1 () SECURITYFOCUS COM (Elias Levy)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:05:39 -0700

* Crispin Cowan (crispin () WIREX COM) [000626 02:21]:

Open source AV would seem to put this exactly the opposite way:  the AV
program would be open source, but you would end up paying a subscription fee
for the continuous profile updates.  Doing it this way is fulling in keeping
with the RMS vision of free software:  the software is free, the service is
not.  I do not believe that an AV profile database could be kept up to date
on a volunteer basis.

Dan:  do you have any comment on why commercial AV vendors charge for the
initial product and give away the service, instead of the other way around?

In my experience, most AV companies charge a subscription fee now a days. You
get a one year free subscription with the product and must pay after that.
So you are basically paying for both the product and the service.

Crispin

--
Elias Levy
SecurityFocus.com