Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Buffer overflows on Netware 4x and 5x

From: Roland () ERCA NL (Roland Kool)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:09:34 +0100

Hi,

This is my first post to the list and I hope it's on topic.
I work on a college and am currently writing a security paper for our site.
Our environment primarily consists of Netware server, versions 4.x and 5.x.
I am not a hacker, just a security conscious network administrator who likes
to keep his Netware boxes secure.

So my question is this: are there any know buffer overflow exploits/possibilities
on Netware boxes? Netware is capable of running more than just file and print
services. In our environment we run almost everything on them.
Is the Netware architecture vulnerable to buffer overflow attacks? Just like in
NT and Unix there is a console that can be compromised. Netware also supports
the XCONSOLE.NLM (telnet daemon) which makes itself a potential hacking
target.
Does anyone know if any such exploits exist on Netware? I have never seen them
but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Is it possible?

Thanks

Roland