Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Single SignOn

From: thegnome () NMRC ORG (Simple Nomad)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:55:43 -0600

The best (or worse, depending on perspective) thing about single signon is
that it simplifies the cracking process. If an intruder knows that single
signon is in use at a corporation s/he wishes to crack, they attack the
weakest or least protected system, and then have access to all of them.

This is probably the main reason you do not see more info on the net about
them. One of the weakest points in the security chain has got to be the
poorly-chosen end-user password. Example:

0. Attacker wants to get to mainframe-based payroll system to cut themself
a check. The only cool privately held thing in their toolbox is a Unix
exploit which requires local access. BTW the attacker is a disgruntled
employee.
1. Attacker launches L0phtcrack and sniffs hashes. Cracks some passwords.
2. One of the users cracked also is on Unix, but not in Payroll.
3. Attacker logs in to Unix and runs his exploit.
4. Installs sniffer to capture passwords.
5. Eventually gets a user/password combo for someone in Payroll.

Now that I no longer work for a Fortune 200 company, I love Single SignOn
;-)

-         Simple Nomad          -  No rest for the Wicca'd  -
-      thegnome () nmrc org        -        www.nmrc.org       -
-  thegnome () razor bindview com  -     razor.bindview.com    -