Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: network appliance...

From: talis () MILLCOMM COM (Ryan Permeh)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:16:01 -0500

It has been a while since i talked with any of the network appliance people, but they were doing quite a sales job on
us, and we almost bought(they aren't bad boxes for what they do, just really really expensive).  Our guy told me that
they had their own microkernel based os.  I may have jjust assumed this, but i beleive it was a microbsd.  However, i'm
certain that it is closed source, and has some heavy modifications to increase disk performance and network file
sharing performance accordingly.  (even though these things are spendy, they really are very fast).

The fact that nmap didn't find it may allude to a broken nmap, or possibly to the fact that nmap simply doesnt have a
singature on this.  Upgrade to the nmap2.30Beta20.  This has the latest signature file, allowing the best possible
identification of os's.
it should be responding, however, to a showmount(show what nfs mounts are availible), or a smbclient -L request(show
the list of exported SMB shares). Theese are the two primary focuses of this boxm, sharing via NFS and sharing iva SMB.

As far as i know, there are no known vulnerabilities in their os.  Because of price, i haven't had a chance to bang on
them very hard(and probably never will, until they start shoing up in bargain bins:) and i doubt a ton of other people
have either.  And judging from the responses about NetPliance's device, this peice of hardware still occupies somewhat
of a niche in enterprise computing.

Ryan