Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: network appliance...

From: tgarris () FRAMELOSS ORG (Todd Garrison)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:02:58 -0600

Which network appliance are you talking about?

I believe what he is referencing is a network-based storage device,
essentially a huge RAID device.  The "filer" can operate over the
network via NFS, SMB or other protocols... it is similar to the EMC
arrays, but network aware.

Obviously you never want to make something that shares files via either
SMB or NFS directly available via the internet.  I have never heard of
anyone that had their filer attacked, but that is most likely because it
just makes sense that only the server(s) that need to mount it's disks
should need to reach it...