Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: network appliance...

From: olle () NXS SE (Olle Segerdahl)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:05:59 +0200

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, JT wrote:

has anyone heard of vulnerabilities in the Network Appliance base operating systems? they're the company that makes
large filer head systems and my company is considering buying one. the operating system is unix or unix based but an
nmap scan on known open ports in demonstration showed absolutely nothing - no operating systems id either. i was
curious as to whether this is really as safe as it seems...

If I remember correctlly, the configuration interface of these devices
closelly resembles the UN*X standard, this does *not* however imply that
they use a UN*X-like operating system or kernel......

If indeed their code (kernel, OS, call it what you like) is UN*X-like it
would probably be more or less completely developed in-house.

At least, I havn't seen any of the usual "advertising clause" messages....

/olle