Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: network appliance...

From: ptaylor () MARTNET COM (Paul Taylor)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:43:21 GMT

The kernel is a stripped down unix type kernel. It has no compiler, no real
shell (like /bin/sh), nor any utils like vi or anything like that. It does (or
did, I haven't configured one for a while) come from the factory with a crappy
security configuration, such as:

/ -anon=0

in /etc/exports. It runs its own implementation of CIFS, and it uses NFS, and
you can run an http server off of it, none of which I have seen any problems
with, except for not being locked down out of the factory.

They are pretty dependable, and quick for what they do. The read speed is good,
but the write speed sucks. I was running an F630 and an F760, and the only
problem I had with it was an infant mortality on the system board of the F630
the first week we got it.

YMMV.

Paul