Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Eudora Pro Buffer Overflow testing in progress - help needed.

From: BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM (Blue Boar)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 21:19:29 -0700

Zoa_Chien wrote:
<snip>
the 3334 are the first bytes that overwrite the EIP.

Leaving us very little space to execute some arbitrary code.
(unless it's possible to send files from non microsoft OS'es that contain
even more chars in the extension, that could give us some more room.

Of course, you can hand-craft an e-mail with an attachment with an
extension
of arbitrary length.  You don't have to use a real mail client, or have
the file exist on a real file system ahead of time.

I don't know the format for an attachment when talking to an SMTP
server off the top of my head, but a bit of work with a sniffer or
the RFCs would reveal it.

Or were you being sarcastic? :)

                                        BB