Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

long file names in explorer.exe

From: kj () INDIFFERENCE ORG (kj)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:22:20 -0700

Hey, all

I have done a few tests on NT 4.0 (SP5) and Windows 2000 (build 2128) creating
long file name extensions and trying to copy and view them in explorer.exe.

Both OS' did not crash when the tool tips displayed the long extensions, but
I did notice other "odd" behavior.

I had 4 files that I was playing with

c.`perl -e 'print "a" x 232'`

e.`perl -e 'print "a" x 240'`

e.`perl -e 'print "f" x 250'`

f.`perl -e 'print "f" x 247'`

From samba to WINNT
Copying the files to another computer through network neighbourhood:
"c.aaa..." recieved "file extension is too long"
"e.aaa..." recieved an error that "file cannot find the specified path..."
"e.fff..." became "E~lh.fff"
"f.fff..." became "F~ki.fff"

Copying to the same directory as what the files were already in (on samba):
"c.aaa..." crashed explorer.exe
"e.aaa..." crashed explorer.exe
"e.fff..." became "E~LH.FFF"
"f.fff..." became "F~KI.FFF"

I have only tested samba and WINNT. I have yet to try Win2000...though I
plan to tomorrow.

K.J.

--

"Never argue with an idiot. He will take you down to his level, and beat
you with experience."