Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: long file names in explorer.exe

From: kj () INDIFFERENCE ORG (kj)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:32:37 -0700

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 05:58:08PM -0400, Rory Savage wrote:

kj,

I suspect that explorer concatenates long file names rather than
causing a buffer overflow. Why the prefixes of the files included
a ~ and odd charactes? I don't know, it just might be random data.

I don't believe they are random. I tried copying the files multiple
times and received the same consistant name for the files. It might
be a recurrence of the *great* 8.3 implementations of micros~1.

As well, notice how remote copying (through network neighbhourhood)
has the file name in lower case after the ~

"e.fff..." became "E~lh.fff"
"f.fff..." became "F~ki.fff"

but, copying to the same directory (right click the file and choose
copy) has the same file name, but all in uppercase.

"e.fff..." became "E~LH.FFF"
"f.fff..." became "F~KI.FFF"

BTW my mistake, the "e.fff..." and "f.fff..." actually become:

"Copy of E~LH.FFF" and "Copy of F~KI.FFF"

When copied locally in the same directory.

K.J.

--

"Never argue with an idiot. He will take you down to his level, and
beat you with experience."