Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Need help cracking wwwboard passwd.txt

From: RSMAGILL () A1 NLHC NF CA (Rick Magill)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:47:48 -0230

   Moderator if this is dumped for dragging out the topic could you pls redirect
   to the original poster?

   devin ....

   on the off chance you're considering doing something along these lines.

   Certainly if the company approoached you to help them then you shouldn't do it
   for free.

   If on the other hand you instigated this I'd suggest you should think twice.

   A local guy found a hole in a colleges system. He informed them of the fact.
   They didn't take him seriously. So he cracked the system and mailed them the
   proof of it. He expected to be rewarded for his efforts to assist them and made
   it known when he contacted them the second time.

   Now I don't know the laws where you live but he was indeed awarded. A two year
   jail term was the prize.

   The laws where you are may or may not be as strict but if almost all major
   juridisctions it's a criminal offense to access a system in an unauthorized
   fashion. It may seem cool but not in the long run.;)