Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: possible gnome remote overflow

From: crispin () CSE OGI EDU (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 01:58:17 +0000

Ryan Permeh wrote:

This will crash an open X session, even from remote.  I do not know a
lot about gnome, but i do know X sessions
crashing is generally regarded as a "Bad Thing".  I poked at the code a
bit, but couldn't find the piece where
this is likely happening.

If X and Gnome were StackGuarded, then you might get a present in your
syslog telling you the name of the function containing the smashed buffer:

   * if the buffer was an auto variable
   * and if the function containing the buffer tried to return *before* the
     core dump happened

I have StackGuarded XFree86 RPM's for RH 5.2 here:
http://immunix.org/StackGuard/RH52/RPMS/

Unfortunately, I do not have StackGuarded Gnome or RH 6.0 RPMs.  But the
StackGuard compiler is available if someone wanted to take a poke at it:
http://immunix.org/StackGuard/gcc-2.7.2.3-14_SGc1_SG12.i386.rpm

Conversely, if someone can point us at an easy to recompile-from-source
pile of source RPMs for the necessary Gnome components, then we might take
a poike at it.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com