Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Need help cracking wwwboard passwd.txt

From: devin () PORTALMEDIA COM (Devin Walters)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 15:55:17 -0500

Understood, I understand it was off topic, but the fact remains I'm rather
new to uncovering exploits, using them in the field of work I am in, etc.
Being that the exploit itself came from a securityfocus mailing list, I felt
vuln-dev, would be the place to ask such a questiom.  As for ethics having
to do with money, and 'blackmail' to get money from the intended 'victim'
were far from my intentions.  I had read somewhere that it was rather
acceptable to ask for money in return for the answer to the problem the
exploit was directed at.  As it seems this is not the case, I will NOT be
requesting money from the company I will be talking to...  I did look around
for password crackers...  To narrow my question down, I'm not sure what form
of encryption the passwd.txt file from the wwwboard is.  Therefore finding a
cracker to crack this type of password is kind of a guess and check thing,
and if the answer could be attained by someone simply typing a couple lines
of text, it'd be great...  What I am a little curious about is, wasn't this
supposed to be a mailing list directed towards people new to this whole
area?  If I'm doing something wrong, correct me, and I'll fix whatever is
bugging you.  When I ask for a 2 sentence answer I don't feel like I'm
asking the world, and don't EXPECT an answer.  If you don't want to answer,
don't, but anything you can contribute is appreciated.  I thank everyone who
answered on a positive connotation.  Now that I've gotten off subject, let
me finish :)  When I went to the wwwboard/passwd.txt file I found this
inside...

staff:aei1Wbt.yG9Ro

If anyone here can answer some of the questions I asked above, please do so,
thank you for your time...

-devin