Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Datacenter Wiring

From: Peter Van Epp <vanepp () SFU CA>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:20:13 -0700

The attached snooping device doesn't need to talk, only listen.  If it can
be quiet, it need not reveal its MAC address, and hence not reveal its
presence on the line.  I have read that old style AUI cards have a separate
"transmit" pair that can be clipped...I am sure that a suitable device could
be constructed, including wireless LAN equipment with me on the receiving
end a few buildings away.

        http://www.shomiti.com and look for the Century taps. Puts a tap in a
10/100 UTP link and breaks out the full duplex pair (inverting tx to rx for
one side) to two monitor ports while maintaining link. They are fairly
expensive compared to a diode (although perhaps not by the time you get a
diode in to a properly terminated Cat5 cable :-) if you value your time at all).
        The same can be done for fibre with an %80/%20 optical splitter from
www.netoptics.com. Am a happy customer of both ...