Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Datacenter Wiring

From: "Frasnelli, Dan" <dfrasnel () COREWAR COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:32:06 -0400

either run out in the open (loose under raised floor is considered to be in
the open for this discussion) or hidden in conduit.  From a penetration
standpoint do you feel it is easier to compromise exposed wiring or "hidden"
wiring?  I'm interested in opinions regarding the ease of identifying the

Unauthorized physical access to a datacenter probably indicates a
more serious issue than how one arranges wiring.  The attacker
will not care whether its conduit or open wiring once inside.
Same goes for the inside threat vector.. a malicious insider
with access and knowledge of critical nodes indicates insufficient
background investigation or overlooking signs of malcontent.
In short, physical access usually equals network access.

disturbances, etc.  Which wiring technique would you suggest your clients
use to provide them with the "best" security against penetrators?  So do you
consider yourself a "wire walker" or a conduit person?

Conduit lowers the effectiveness of excuses if the intruder is
caught.  Its more plausible that "I wanted to see why my desktop
 fell of the network" than "Oh, I ripped out conduit and attached
 a phantom tap in a fit of rage.  Sorry.".

If you start with the assumption that physical access is
secure, you can suggest evaluating the vmps feature of
Cisco's IOS.  Simply, vmps manages a database of mac addresses
and can shut down a switch port if an unrecognized device
is connected.  A switched network with vmps implemented
reduces the risk of sniffing and network connectivity
if an intruder gains physical access.

-dan