Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] FW: [PEN-TEST] Forensic analisys and related training

From: Christopher Misra <crispy () NIC UMASS EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:50:05 -0400

I have taken and passed this certification and to be honest.  It is a joke.
 The Level two Incident Handling and Hacker Tools is very out of date and
I was not impressed by the instructor's, Eric Cole, knowledge on newer hacker
tools.

I have also taken and passed this certification. I agree on Eric's knowledge,
the
hacking tools section was weak and out of date for the most part.

The course focusses mainly on the hacker tool part and it was amusing to
watch the instructor try to get things to work in front of the class but
just couldn't half the time.  To me it was a big waste of time and money
I went for the incident response stuff and I got a lesson in being a script
kiddie.

As far as the testing itself goes, also a joke, I did not even study for
the exam or read their "suggested readings on the web" and I still passed
the tests, not with 100% mind you, but studying would have obviously done
it.

Again, agreed...

If you feel like wasting a couple grand to hear about being a script kiddie
and why you shouldn't trust L0pht/@Stake then this is the course for you.
 If you want to spend some money and actually learn something useful, look
elsewhere.

Although the hacking tools portion is very weak, the incident response with Stephen
Northcutt is pretty good. Although not a complete waste of money, if you are looking
for incident response, just take his course seperately and skip the rest. Learning
about hacking tools in two days in a class of 100+ is not a good use of time.

Just a (slightly) different opinion...

                                - Chris
--
Christopher Misra                                    Network Analyst
OIT/Network Systems and Services                        LGRC A153