Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Datacenter Wiring

From: Graham Lewis <graham () ELSTREE CO UK>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:30:11 +0200

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Lady Sharrow wrote:

of the buildings. Question :- is it possible to physiclly tap into a fiber
optic with the same ease you can with a copper wire ?

The only way to "tap" fibre is cut the fibre, re-terminate the broken ends and
install an optical splitter. It is possible but you should notice the downtime
if you are running any network management.

A second more general question concerns the alarm system. Does anybody know
the effect on the machines of having a 'smoke bomb' type detterent system
being set off in a confined space like a server room ?.

As someone who has caused a Datacentre to be evacuated by letting off a smoke
canister, I speak with some authority ;-) (hey someone has to test these
systems). I would hope that the smoke bomb would trigger your fire alarm
system which should flood the datacentre with FM200/Halon or whatever which
will in all probability kill the intruder before you can get to him/her. How
English law treats this I don't know. I guess if you stick a sign up telling
potential intruders they may be killed you may get away with it, but the legal
fees may add up.

If you don't have smoke detection and set off a smoke bomb an efficient aircon
system should clear the room within minutes, allowing the intruder to
continue work before you can get there. I would fit an alarm system to the
cabinets and PIR's inside the DataCentre before smoke bombing the place.