Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] FW: [PEN-TEST] Forensic analisys and related training

From: hellnbak () HUSHMAIL COM
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:48:21 -0700

I have taken and passed this certification and to be honest.  It is a joke.
 The Level two Incident Handling and Hacker Tools is very out of date and
I was not impressed by the instructor's, Eric Cole, knowledge on newer hacker
tools.

The course focusses mainly on the hacker tool part and it was amusing to
watch the instructor try to get things to work in front of the class but
just couldn't half the time.  To me it was a big waste of time and money
I went for the incident response stuff and I got a lesson in being a script
kiddie.

As far as the testing itself goes, also a joke, I did not even study for
the exam or read their "suggested readings on the web" and I still passed
the tests, not with 100% mind you, but studying would have obviously done
it.

If you feel like wasting a couple grand to hear about being a script kiddie
and why you shouldn't trust L0pht/@Stake then this is the course for you.
 If you want to spend some money and actually learn something useful, look
elsewhere.

I can't speak to why you are not able to get the training, however you
might
investigate http://www.sans.org/giactc/leveltwo.htm. The "Advanced Incident
Handling and Hacker Exploits" web based training is going to be starting
soon.

Here's a short clip from the website:
"Advanced Incident Handling and Hacker Exploits prepares a student to
take
on the critical role of an incident handler, and seeks to identify those
who
can take a leadership role in incident handling in their organization,
their
communities, their nations, and globally."

I've not taken any of the LevelTwo classes from SANS, so I can't vouch
for
how good this will be. Perhaps someone else in the list could?