PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Career Advice

From: yersinia <yersinia.spiros () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:06:56 +0100

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Brian Seel <brian.seel () gmail com> wrote:

I appreciate the feedback. I really like the idea of starting a blog... My
biggest problem is thinking that the stuff I am working on won't interest
anyone, but I guess if I just blog about it all... Then at least it will
get me in the habit of "explaining" my work to others. And the best way to
learn something is to teach. And there is the point about a potential
employer reading it too.

To increase your professional visibility, the best thing is to participate
in a professional social networks like linkedin, which has many groups
dedicated
to security and penetration testing. A blog can be useful as a referer for
your ideas, articles and so, but this is only a possibility. There are many
professional pen testers who do so, as some security company and firm. In
this field there are so many knowledge around but but very few people
understand
it fully, it is necessary to demonstrate competence. For another point, yes
i think SANS is really the best of bread in security course and
certification, with GIAC. Very Nice , i have take san 560 two years ago
(this year i will take sans sec660). Also  the offensive security training
and certification is very important and valuable. But as in many things,
there is no  such thing as a free lunch. They give you much, but thery are
very expensive.

Best