PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Career Advice

From: Brian Seel <brian.seel () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 23:06:56 -0500

Good advice Allison. In the last few months I have been trying to get more
involved with the security community... its been hard because I have a
reclusive streak to myself but I am working on it.

As for certs, do you have any suggestions? I have not tried to focus on
certs just because my experience with getting my A+ and CISSP has left me
feeling like certs are a joke that cover up for deeper deficiencies... but
I have only attempted the A+ and CISSP. What certs are out there that you
think would make someone stand out.

As a follow up, do you think its worth the time it takes to get a cert (do
you value knowing that someone has a standard level of knowledge)? Or would
you think higher of someone that has job related experience?

Thanks,

Brian

PS: Allison, I never get a chance to watch the podcasts, but whenever I
hear them, I always picture you as Dr
Park<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Park>because you sound almost
exactly like her.