PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Career Advice

From: allison nixon <elsakoo () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 14:57:40 -0500

I don't think I sound like Dr Park haha

But if you aren't/cant afford to go the certs route, I'd suggest starting a
blog or documenting your work in some way.  The whole point of this
exercise is to convince the hiring person that you know something, and
giving them further reading on the subject of "you" is a good step in that
direction.  People are a lot more comfortable making a hiring decision when
they know more.

if you're self taught you're not going to easily fit into any of the molds
society set out for you.  The whole point of a resume is to present your
easily quantifiable sets of knowledge and experience, and it's really hard
to quantify "did stuff" on one page.  do projects, write about them on your
blog, put blog on resume.  Any technical person will be able to discern
what you know and what you don't know from the way you talk.  And proof of
work sometimes has more credibility than a degree(of course, depending on
the work, degree, and audience).

depending on how well connected you already are this may be a difficult
path to take.  for me, as of 1 week ago i am now a pentester.  this is
something i've wanted to do since i was a teenager, and it took me 6-7
years to get from where i was to finally getting this job.  The path I took
was a meandering one, but I could make it work because of blog posts and
cheating at videogames.  So I suggest plenty of both.

And be kind to people.  opportunities can come from the most unexpected of
places.

-Allison

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Danilo Nascimento <danilonc () bugnotfound com