Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap GUI

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 09:58:44 -0700

digmet wrote:

Hello, testic.

Sunday, June 5, 2005, 7:25:50 PM, you wrote:
t> Would cross platform compatibility be a nice thing to aim for?
0.
No.
Cross platform compatibility nice thing only for developers. (For us)
Windows users like and expect to see windows_explorer_like application or microsoft_office_like application.
KDE users expect to see KDE_like application.
Gnome users expect to see Gnome_like application.

For nmap users, the command line should always be an acceptable
alternative. I can see the nicety of a GUI, but catering to the popular
desktop of the week is not something that commercial products do. No sense
in having a product which is comprised of free source, and (for the most
part) volunteer support, attempt to provide answers which products like ISS
do not.

t> I am sure many Windows users would really appreciate access to a good GUI
t> for Nmap.
1.
Yes.
GUI increases number of users! Greatly!

Pardon my cynicism, but I believe that the statement should read "A windows
GUI will increase the number of people who do not understand how to use
nmap, and therefore will increase the number of questions to this list
which would better be answered by a decent networking book."

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly
is to fill the world with fools.