Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap GUI

From: jonathan roeder <jonathanbsa () sbcglobal net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 19:50:07 -0700 (PDT)

Well said, I don't want Nmap to be a point and click
script kiddy tool.
--- Manu Garg <manugarg () gmail com> wrote:

On 6/5/05, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
wrote:
digmet wrote:

Hello, testic.

Sunday, June 5, 2005, 7:25:50 PM, you wrote:
t> Would cross platform compatibility be a nice
thing to aim for?
0.
No.
Cross platform compatibility nice thing only for
developers. (For us)
Windows users like and expect to see
windows_explorer_like application or
microsoft_office_like application.
KDE users expect to see KDE_like application.
Gnome users expect to see Gnome_like
application.

For nmap users, the command line should always be
an acceptable
alternative. I can see the nicety of a GUI, but
catering to the popular
desktop of the week is not something that
commercial products do. No sense
in having a product which is comprised of free
source, and (for the most
part) volunteer support, attempt to provide
answers which products like ISS
do not.

t> I am sure many Windows users would really
appreciate access to a good GUI
t> for Nmap.
1.
Yes.
GUI increases number of users! Greatly!

Pardon my cynicism, but I believe that the
statement should read "A windows
GUI will increase the number of people who do not
understand how to use
nmap, and therefore will increase the number of
questions to this list
which would better be answered by a decent
networking book."

That's right. Windows GUI for Nmap will increase
number of stupid
users. And improper use of Nmap by script kiddies
may even lead to
criticism to Nmap.

I don't think that GUI is something that Nmap needs
right now. I find
command line much comfortable and powerful. Other
ideas from Fyodor
sound more interesting:

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/GoogleGrants.html

For example next generationg OS detection and
version detection.

cheers, Manu
--
Manu Garg