Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: What would we want in a new Netcat/Hping?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:21:55 -0700

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:45:10AM -0400, Chuck wrote:
A couple things that I would like to add to the netcat2 feature request list:

- Probably a given, but you should be able to compile as a single,
statically linked execuable on all platforms (may offer other versions
as well)

Excellent point -- that is critical!  I have added it to Ncat.html.

- Support for requiring a password to connect to the NetCat2
  listener.

I don't think a clear text password is acceptable, even for this sort
of application.  I added a requirement that authentication and
encryption of the channel be supported as an option.  Maybe this can
be done securely and easily with OpenSSL.

Also, I added a note that we should understand and learn from other
Netcat reimplementations such as:

Socat -- http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/
Cryptcat -- http://farm9.org/Cryptcat/
OpenBSD nc -- http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/nc/