Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Socat

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:22:16 -0500

On Jun 16, 2005, at 6:06 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
Max wrote:
A Windows version of this sort of tool is *mandatory* since it is
often
used as a backdoor/tunnel on a vulnerable machine. And what OS is
more
vulnerable than any other ? Hence this mandatory requirement :-)

Bah! The kids that needs a netcat-like program to backdoor a system
aren't really worthy of owning it in the first place. Spending quality
coding time so that juvenile idiots (the kind that have a hard time
grasping the meaning of the switch() statement) have a means of
quickly
doing something non-constructive and possibly illegal is not my
idea of fun.

That is like saying I won't make a hammer because it might be used to
bash someone's head in.  It's just a tool.
Also, note the smiley at the end of his statement, usually used to
denote a bit of fun or sometimes sarcasm.

Yes, there are other implementations os netcat out there.  I think
Fyodor's idea is to possibly expand nmap to be a set of tools,
instead of just one tool.  So instead of installed 3 or 4 packages to
do all your scanning and testing, you install one.  Maybe similar
interfaces (CLI options) and all the same quality.

Remember this is also for the Summer of Code. This may not bee added,
may not be maintained after the end of the summer and may not even be
finished.  I think it sounds interesting none the less.

M@x