Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: What would we want in a new Netcat/Hping?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:42:36 -0700

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:00:35AM -0700, Andreia Gaita wrote:
Methinks that these ideas are just awesome, and that some or all of
these features are over the purpose of the tool, and should be done
outside the core tool. Ncat's core should have the purpose to connect
to somewhere and shuffle data around. We want to put in as much
functionality in it as possible, of course, but keep it small and
simple at the same time, so where to draw the line? For me, anything
that handles data specifically should be done outside in a
filter/plugin, so that ncat doesn't stray from the purpose of
shuffling meaningless (to it) data around.

Excellent points, though there is a possible conflict between two of
the goals.  Having a simple core with separate modules/filters is
aesthetically pleasing, but as Chuck noted there is a major practical
benefit in having nc be a single executable that you can quickly
upload to a server.  So I would suggest making features like OpenSSL
compile-time options, so that people who don't want that support can
easily make a limited version with just the core features, while
people who truly want a swiss-army knife can leave it all in.

BTW, I've been trying to compile nmap on debian and ubuntu, and I
always get a configure error when compiling nbase... anyone get
that?

Strange.  Those are major platforms, so I would expect to have
received more reports if the problem was common.  But who knows,
people sometimes assume on common platforms that "someone else will
report it".  In any case, if you send me the errors and a platform
description, I'll look into it.  Sending me a patch would be even
better.

Also, try with this unreleased CanSecWest version:

http://www.insecure.org/tmp/nmap-3.82.2CSW.tar.bz2

Cheers,
-F