Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:11:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Collins <mcollins () aleae com>
Date: October 10, 2009 5:10:03 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

This is more of an inevitability than anything else. Several years ago, the Korean government decided that Spam was a national embarassment, and KISA, Korea Telecom and several other organizations joined together and started a program of highly aggressive spam filtering at the ISP level to take care of this. They published on it in FIRST '08 - ref here (http://www.cert.org/csirts/national/best_practices/2008/NationalSpamThreatMgmtSystem.pdf ).

That said, I think there's a messier problem that we're all whistling past the graveyard on here. I'm willing to bet that roughly speaking, given any IDS, spam defense or defensive measure we want to think of, a sufficiently motivated attacker can develop a mechanism for evading it and -still- turn a profit - user behavior is just too eccentric for bolt-on solutions to knock a severe dent in endlessly innovative attackers. of the four defense strategies I think we have (Policy, Architectural, Reactive, Enforcement), I think our reactive defenses are pretty much exhausted, and we're moving onto enforcement and policy mechanisms - which means that yes, ISPs are going to be stomping on people, and technically literate people are going to get stomped on more than anyone else, because we tend to wander around the stomping grounds.

So, here's the fun question - in other engineering fields, design conservatism is encouraged because real people with real lives are at stake. In network security, so far, we've basically been saved by our irrelevance. However, if we have a blood on the floor incident, is innovation worth that? Is constant spamming the price we pay for getting things like Twitter? Do we have to accept that some portion of the population will be phished[1] in order to get YouTube?
----

[1] I can hear the chorus of excited voices now saying "I'm too clever to be phished!", Newton lost money in the South Seas Bubble, and he's smarter than you.[2] [2] I used the present tense intentionally. Even dead, Newton is smarter than we are. That's just how smart Newton is.[3]
[3] I've footnoted an email, God strike me down.