Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 09:52:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 9, 2009 9:53:40 PM EDT
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

I don't see where Comcast is being transparent about *how* they do this, or giving customers a chance to opt-in or -out.

If I send a lot of email, why does that make me a "bot"? Maybe I just send a lot of email.

If the contents of my communications are being "scanned", why is that legal? Why does Comcast care?

I might choose (if it were explained to me what was happening and what the risks are to my privacy or being accused of a crime or hauled off as a "suspected child pornographer" because I sent pictures of my naked child) to have this service, or not.

But to be honest, in most markets, Comcast is the only real choice, and imposing their "features" on me might not be what I want, even if they "market" it as a *good thing*. If there were serious competition (multiple providers, and no special "franchise" deals with local governments that block new competitors, perhaps customers would have a choice. However, most do not have other choice for highspeed Internet, except Hobson's: "take that or nothing at all").

I'm really not impressed by these moves by Comcast. Livingood already sent out an email saying that they redirect DNS service to a service that sends certain names to hosts that do not have those names registered, but which will respond with advertising-only websites.

This is not the way the Internet is designed to work.

Comcast supposedly cleaned up its act. Now it's backsliding - forcing secret and invasive services on customers. On day one, they will "love it" (especially in the Comcast-authored press release).