Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:27:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Doug Humphrey <doug () joss com>
Date: October 10, 2009 14:50:23 EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

It might be optimal if they would lay out "policy" in two
statements, one technical and one for the "masses"

Of course, there would be the danger that the two would
not match - the lawyers would point that out - one of the
reasons that lawyers point out for "plain language contracts"
not being a good idea (in their view)

The "non-tech" statement is for them people who want to
know how this might effect them, but are not technical and
do not really have concerns on how it is implemented - they
would not understand those details anyway,  remember, the
average Comcast customer is not on this list - and then the
"tech" statement would be as much about how they would
go about it as what they were trying to accomplish, so that
tech savvy people could look to see if there are any side
effects that they are not going to like, etc.

As a former founder/owner/runner of an ISP (Digex) I can
assure you that I understand both sides of this argument!

doug